Churches in Levens
Levens was originally part of the Parish of Heversham. Our church, St John the Evangelist, was built between 1824 and 1827 and held its first service in 1828. Mrs. Howard of Levens Hall met the construction cost, and she also funded the building of a parsonage, demolished in 1964.
- A brief history of St. John′s Church, Levens
- A walk round St. John′s Church. Further details are available in St. John′s Levens, 1828-2004 by The Rev. Canon John Hodgkinson, available at the church and Levens post office.
- A letter from Hugh Ellison, illustrating the life of Levens church whilst his father was the Vicar, 1947 - 1953
The original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was founded in 1795. The old building, on what is now Old Chapel Lane, has been converted to flats. A new Wesleyan Chapel was opened on 14 July 1892. See extracts from the diaries of Joseph A. Barnes (Methodist Minister) relating to the fundraising, building and opening of the chapel.
Note: some links open in Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded free from the Adobe website www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.